Friday, October 3, 2008

sock knitting season again

That wee nip in the air makes me want to sock-knit again. I am still wearing sandals, even in October, because I have a nice pedicure. But this weekend I want to get a cute pair of clogs to show off my knitting prowess (ahem) while still having dry feet, and, of course, comfort. I gained eight pounds last month (new readers: not quite as bad as it sounds - am in 6th month of pregnancy) and hefting this girth around in my usual high heel boots isn't going to happen this winter.

So right now I'm working on some knee socks for my work friend P, a workaholic who has about 2% bodyfat and always looks like she is about to freeze solid in winter. She's only a couple of inches taller than me (who isn't) but I will probably double her body weight by xmas (and yes, am only carrying one baby. I get all-over-body pregnancy, where my legs arms and ass gain weight in sympathy with my belly) and I think a pair of woolly socks might just keep her around through another winter. Last year she got these:
and this year, hopefully, a completed pair of these:very plain vanilla pattern - toe up with short row heel...the heels are a little untidy and the toes don't match, because I cast on the first sock in June and decided at the time (I guess) that I could commit the method to memory. Hah! These are knit from the flat feet pre-dyed sock blank, round and round and round in stockinette...Colour is great though. They don't look too great in that picture but they haven't been blocked yet...


Already looking forward to the next thing, here's a lovely pattern I bought off Ravelry today: Grandiflora socks, which should hopefully work with ultra-patterned sock yarn. Yay!


Look at what I found online today, tucked amongst regular boots on sale:


Knitted boots, but with outdoor soles...

And also: it's breast cancer awareness month. My dear friend Flibbertygibbet has made quite a commitment, and I am very proud of her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you honey xx Love those socks!

YoMamma said...

oooh! Socks *&* boots - genius!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats