Monday, May 12, 2008

I should have known

I should have known...
Last Friday I wrote a long post about all the lovely timefilling activities I've devised to occupy myself for the 60min or so I spend daily on the train.

Of course, most of these involve a sitting position to be comfortable.
Last Friday I got on the train, sat into a seat, had momentary conniption at the sight of a nearby used plaster (band-aid) but got over it, drug out jaywalkers and started listening to my book. Fifteen happy minutes later I realized we hadn't moved, and everyone around me was hoofing it back to the platform...when the next train arrived all 550 of us (or thereabouts) had to cram into one carriage and I had to stand, balancing with my legs astride my unreasonably big carrying case and clutching the tiny piece of wall mounted hand rail that was within reach (hanging off the roof-mounted one would have required feet leaving the floor).

Usually the Metro glides in and out of the stations, and after many years of this I've predicted my balancing act. Sometimes (like guess when?) rookie drivers stutter the train in and out of stations. Usually not a big deal except I was stood right in front of a seated man, and had to exert woefully underused glute and quad muscles to avoid landing in his lap as we lurched along.
Standing on the Metro also involves very close proximity to total strangers, though it could be worse.

I got a seat today though.

5 comments:

YoMamma said...

That video is terrifying!!

Lyn said...

I watched 30 seconds of that video, and couldn't breathe!

Anonymous said...

Where is the chivalry here? Sometimes you still get a guy on Metro that will give a woman his seat.

But yes, that is why I don't live in Japan.

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly. Though sometimes I wish they had people to do that on the tube... no I don't... yes I do... x

Sue said...

OMG! Yes, the trains in Japan are very crowded at times, but I don't ever remember experiencing anything like that!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats