Thursday, July 10, 2008

97 or so...

Wow coming up on my 100th post!
I may retire after one hundred - my blog is going like so many others, running out of steam with more and more infrequent posts...so anyhoo, for another off-topic post, let's invigorate some debate: In these days of technology and convenience, what are the things that set your teeth on edge but aren't exactly worth complaining about - two that come to mind for me are:

Voice mail instructions.
First you hear your friend/coworker/whoever give a detailed description of why they aren't there to talk to you, and what you should do next. Then you hear that chirpy "At the tone please record your message. When you are finished, you may hang up, or press 1 for more options..." When I call DH it takes 57 seconds before I can get a word in (longer if he answers ;) )
What ever happened to "leave a message after the beep" ???

Magazine subscription inserts.
There I am, settling down on sofa with dog, kid, cold non-alcoholic beverage, and copy of new Glamor/Entertainment Weekly/The Week/Newsweek/News and World Report/Interweave Knits* and out slithers 3 of 4 of these. I already subscribe to the magazine...

*I subscribe to a lot of magazines...

So what's your most irksome small annoyance? Here's your chance to vent!

4 comments:

YoMamma said...

I understand where you are coming from on the voice mail instructions. I probably have the shortest message on my cell phone ever. Not sure what the 'system' says afterwards but I figure, if folks don't know what to do if I don't answer that isn't really my problem.

Something else that bothers me if when someone answers the phone only to say they are busy and cannot talk. I thought that is why they invented voice mail? Just don't answer the phone if you can't talk.

twiceknit said...

Don't quit after 100 posts! I read something a couple weeks ago about the different codes you can use to bypass the whole voicemail instructions thing and get directly to the leaving a message part, like the gethuman codes to get a live person on the phone for customer service. Of course, these voicemail codes differ by company and you'd have to memorize all the stupid little codes to get it to work, so it's just pointless. Maybe it really is all a ploy to get us to use more airtime.

I hate the little magazine inserts, too. Funny how they never fall out while the thing is in the mail, but as soon as I get it inside, they seem to start making a dive for the floor.

Sue said...

Don't stop posting!
Pet peeves? Oh, so many that are work related (wink)! Today's pet peeve is, there is no dry place in the ladies' room to set your folders, planner, whatever down while you "take care of business"!

FuguesStateKnits said...

HI - How's this for irksome:
Causes and companies that have kids get out into traffic with coin buckets to solicit money. It is dangerous dangerous dangerous and driving is dangerous enough without kids running around in traffice, no matter how good the cause!
OK, off the soapbox now:)

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats