Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Knitting on NPR

There was a segment on Marketplace last night on yarn stores, and the tough times owners are facing in the current economic climate. According to this piece, people turned to knitting for comfort after 9/11 (I started a big cross-stitch piece that day), and yarn stores blossomed. However, in the past couple of years people have started to go online for their supplies, and yarn stores are learning that they must make their presence felt online, or perish.
Personally I love to go into LYS, both in the neighbourhood and when I'm travelling, and I always come away with something....It's not the same when I go online - I'm much less likely to impulse buy. I have in fact been very good about not-adding-to-stash lately, but that'll likely change when the nesting instinct kicks in in the winter.
Have added two squares to Babette this week. I think the dogs/my son have a conspiracy against this blanket, every time I pick it up they need something. Ah well, 'tis nice to be needed :)

1 comment:

Virtually Amy said...

I agree about going into a yarn store rather than purchasing online. It is such a treat! I love going in and smelling the yarn when you get in the door and it is so cozy. It is also neat to see the different kinds and to handle them. Also the decorative needles and supplies that you cannot find at a large retail store are great fun as well. Meeting fellow knitters and seeing what they like to work on is another bonus. I think going into an actual store is part of the fun of knitting. Granted it is not often I get over there but I definately work on a nice stash when I do. I think I am going to splurge this weekend. Will see.
When you come this way next, you must come to Unwind btw. And make sure I come with you! ha
-- Amy

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats