Saturday, July 26, 2008

An Irish story.

Look at this wonderful carving I got in Sligo - a wedding gift for the couple whose wedding I recently attended:
Ireland has a great storytelling tradition, full of warriors, princes and princesses, magical creatures, spells cast and hexes...One of the stories everyone knows is Niamh and Oisin in Tir na nOg*. This carving shows Niamh on her horse, when she meets Oisin.




This was carved by a wonderful artist named Michael Quirke, who works in his renovated butcher shop in Wine St. Sligo. Should you ever be in the vicinity, take the time to visit - not only does he have wonderful art on display, he'll take the time to explain it all to you. I was delighted to find something special for my friend.

*sorry for the rather breathless prose in the link ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lovely! although, if one tried, one MIGHT be able to come up with some analogy to Lord of the Rings. if one was inclined to such.

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats