Thursday, January 31, 2008

The quest for knitting supplies in Ireland, part 1.

When I announced to my knitting friends (hi lassies!) that I was off to Ireland for a week they all said something along the lines of "ooh think of all the great yarn you'll be able to get!" Hmm. While Ireland is known for its aran sweaters (and its Guinness, potatoes, whiskey and rock stars), quite where knitters get the supplies for these isn't too obvious. While driving in County Mayo I saw plenty of sweaters on the hoof, e.g.:

The sheep graze the land freely - and wander across the road as they please. I have never seen sheep roadkill so they can move when they want to.

But - no yarn stores. We took a detour to Foxford Woollen Mills, where Mum and I planned to get at least the makings of a sweater each. I couldn't see any wool for sale, just lots of fairly nice blankets and other woollen goods, with the occasional cone of wool located here and there as a design feature (not for sale - I checked). When I asked if they sold the wool they wove I was told they got their wool in from Huddersfield in Yorkshire. Considering the number of sheep I'd seen that day I still find that just bizarre. The shop assistant helpfully directed us to a shop in a nearby town that sold yarn and, as it was on the way, we stopped off.

I wish I'd taken a picture. As Mum said, I've more wool than that at home. The place we were directed to was an old fashioned hardware store with bolts of cloth and school uniforms and the like. And one shelf with about 10 balls of 'wool'. Half of these were in the Mayo colours, as people still handmake accessories for supporters.


I can only guess the colourblind lad who chose the team colours was too powerful for anyone to contradict.

We went home yarnless. Tune in next time to read more about my quest for Irish yarn...

3 comments:

YoMamma said...

"sweaters on the hoof" - That is cracking me up!

Welcome back! :-)

twiceknit said...

why do sheep always end up with big splotches of color on them? I've always wondered this. Your pictures are beautiful! Can't wait to hear more on Wednesday!

Denise said...

The different colours you see on the sheep are so the farmers can distinguish their sheep from those belonging to the neighbours! That was one of my first questions when I saw sheep as a little kid. Whatever that dye is, it comes right out when the sheep are shorn.

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats