Friday, January 4, 2008

Socks are for lovers

My brother got engaged Christmas Eve, and I'll be meeting my future SIL when I go to Ireland (in 2 weeks! yay). They haven't been together long, and I don't really know anything about her. But I do know she has feet! (Saw a pic of her standing by bro). So I am making her some engagement socks:
Pattern based on one from this book. However, the socks (on the cover) are made with much thicker yarn - only 44 stitiches around, and to me the fairisle method, with the yarn floats across the back, were too visible through the white yarn suggested. So I dug thru the stash for sock yarn and found this black and red Fortissima Socka yarn. I found some knitting graph paper here, and graphed out the hearts and kisses that you can hopefully see above. Size 2.5 dpns, 64 stitches in the round. I keep stretching it out to make sure it's not too tight, I think so far so good. Any good hints for making fairisle look snug but not too tight?

3 comments:

Pheelya said...

Sorry, can help you, but the socks look great so far!! :)

Anonymous said...

No idea either, but they're gorgeous! And congrats to your bro too xx

twiceknit said...

having never tried fair isle, I'm no help either, but they look great!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats