Sunday, January 13, 2008

Socks and travel and stash

Work took me to Los Angeles last week. For me, one of the most daunting things about traveling is having to navigate my way through unfamiliar cities. Last Sunday evening LA got inches of rain, most of it falling while I was leaving the airport. Plus, my coworker P called me to say that she had somehow booked her flight for the wrong day and, basically, wouldn't be available for wingman duty. This was after I had waited in vain for my bags (which meant I held the entrance conference the next day in crumpled jeans and t-shirt, sans make-up...)

I was in no mood for further adventures, so I got a GPS. What a great toy. It got me to the hotel that night with only minor stress, and after that we used it everyday. I enjoyed getting the GPS lady all freaked out when we'd take a wrong turn ("recalculating...recalculating...")
I left my laptop at home so I could carry knitting on board (no problems going through security with it, yay). The plan was to use the business center in the hotel to update my blog and keep up with ye all...except, of course, no business center. Well, anyway, the lack of distractions in the evenings gave me the time to finish these, for my SIL-to-be:

I knitted a heart into each heel flap, with their initials. You'll have to trust me on this one though - I haven't the yoga skills to take a pic of my own ankles...Now I have to block them. Even though I was careful (I thought) not to knit too tightly, they are quite puckered looking. Fingers crossed I can get them into gift-giving shape.
GPS lady led us to a yarn store (of course) - Stitches in Time, in Bellflower. This is a cute little store, rather jumbled at the moment as they had a flood and are getting new carpet. P is not a knitter, but is very indulgent and was happy to come with me. I had said how much I like to visit yarn stores because the staff (usually the owners) are always so friendly, and every store carries different things. I could tell she was skeptical, but, as I said, she indulged me. I got sock yarn, baby clothes yarn (some pink 'n green, some yellow/green), some multicolored silk, a book on making toys (for Mum) and some beads.

So good to myself. P loved it, couldn't believe how friendly everyone was (told you!), and even bought some yarn herself...for me to knit into socks for her. What a good friend I am eh.

4 comments:

Lyn said...

The heart socks are wonderful! I'd love to see a pic of the back.
Sounds like a crazy trip - glad you're back!

Gail Haslam said...

Adorableness! (yes, that is a word!) Miss you loads hon xx

Pheelya said...

OMG! Those socks are so cute!!!

Sue said...

Love the socks - you'll have to get the heel pic after you gift them!
So what yarn did P buy?

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats