Tuesday, February 5, 2008

The quest for knitting supplies in Ireland, part 2

So, I thought I was going to come back from Ireland yarnless. But my Mum knew better - she brought me to The Crafter's Basket in Cliffoney. Co. Sligo. This shop is, far as I can see, Northwest Ireland's answer to Jo-ann's: supplies for cardmaking, beading, knitting/crochet etc. Unfortunately the staff are about as friendly as those in Jo-ann's, rather than the usual LYS friendliness. People always say the Irish are so friendly - have to say, having lived in both places, for me the American's have the edge. So here's the outside of the store - it's an old building that's been renovated, which I love -
-look at the view they have - this is an old ruined castle by the Atlantic.

Another aspect of traveling in Ireland - getting stuck behind the likes of this as you traverse the country -

I took a picture of this tractor carrying 3 bales of silage as I crawled along in second gear behind it for twenty miles, flippin' two lane 'highways' (now I am sounding like an American ;))

At the end of my tractor-affected journey I visited my friend from college in Cavan - and found another store selling yarn! It's the local Singer store, which also sells all kinds of sewing stuff. Again, they had questionable customer service - some of the yarn wasn't priced, and while yer one in charge pondered this dilemma, she served two other customers and left me standing there. I think having three customers in the place was something of a rush - it was a sleepy place - some of the notions in there were still priced in Irish pounds.

Here's what I ended up with - the 10 50g balls on the right are Kilcarra wool, from Co. Donegal (about 3 euro each)- so now I have 500g and need to find a good pattern - maybe an aran vest? Any suggestions? The other balls are Rowan, I think. So I did quite well, and was rather restrained. There is such a gap in the market over there for crafty stuff. I keep encouraging my mostly retired Mum to set up a coffee shop/LYS but she won't bite...

2 comments:

Lyn said...

Love the colors of wool you chose - they would make a nice vest!

twiceknit said...

great yarn haul! I love the pictures, too. They're beautiful!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats