Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fibonacci Fetching

En route to Florida I made a pair of Fetching.

I was disappointed in them though - the cables barely covered my wrists and the tops were very gape-y round the fingers. Now, seeing as these are the most popular pattern on Ravelry I've no doubt this is more to do with my technique than any deficiency in the pattern. Anyhoo, I decided to make another pair. I remembered the Knitty Gritty show on the Fibonacci number sequence: 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, and decided to make stripey gloves based on this. This required an additional 8 rows onto the Fetching pattern, so I added one cable repeat, and two more rows between the end of the cable and the start of the thumb:

They're tied here with a wee ribbon as they went straight to my SIL, but I think they turned out well. Also - they covered my wrists and so should be much warmer. Still pretty gapey round the top though - any suggestions how to avoid this? Smaller needles for cast-off maybe?

5 comments:

YoMamma said...

maybe try the "one over two" bind off? (from knitting help dot com)

This BO pulls the stitches together for a gathered edge. Vogue Knitting says this BO is ideal "[for] pattern stitches that have a great deal of lateral spread, such as allover traveling cables or openwork stitches."

Work 3 stitches. *Insert the left needle into the first stitch. Pass the first stitch over the next two. Work one more stitch onto the right needle. Repeat from *.

Lyn said...

I like the striped pair alot! You could try to CO with the smaller needles, or switch to them after the thumb, maybe. Or even dec a few sts after the thumb...

twiceknit said...

These are next on my list of things to make. I'll let you know if mine turn out any better!

Ginger Lucy said...

I'm not keen on Fetching as it's written either - too short and the picot edge is far too loose. For my own pair, I added in a few rows here and there, and fingers too - I would have just used a plain cast off if I hadn't been adding fingers. So it's not your technique!

Denise said...

Thanks all for the reassurance that I'm not just a crap knitter ;)
I think I may make these again, as the idea really appeals to me and I love the yarn, the ribbing, the cables...plus I have one ball of Debbie Bliss Cashermino left! Will let ye know how that turns out...

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats