Saturday, December 1, 2007

Teaching to knit

Last weekend my 9 year old niece was in town, and very interested in my knitting. Her family has, of course, been the recipient of both knitted and crocheted items (mostly baby blankets) from me over the years, and she thought it was time to get in on the action herself. I took her to Jo-Ann's, where she proceeded to set quite the ambitious Christmas gift-making schedule for herself...scarfs for Mum and brother#1, hat for brother#2, gloves* for Dad...
She picked several balls of yarn in various shades of green, including a few balls of very impractical stuff to knit with...being the excellent auntie I am I let her get all she wanted of course. In addition to all the greenery, she also wanted Auburn colors to make herself a scarf, and good ole Red Heart obliged.
So I showed her how to cast on, and garter stitch, and at her request introduced the second color for stripes. We cast on 18 stitches, and she was up to 25 per row after an hour or so, but she did get the hang of it. She fell asleep with the needles in her hands that night (yay we have a convert!)
Harrison asked about patterns for young knitters - I think that scarves with stripes/fun fur etc. would be best - very uncomplicated stitches and those yarns hide mistakes well. Plus they knit up fairly quickly. There's a good thread about this on Ravelry. Voxmama suggests donating all those partial skeins and leftovers cluttering up the stash to the newbie, and see what she can create!


*I told my SIL that my niece asked me how to make gloves. SIL heard "make love." And so a family joke begins...

1 comment:

Sue said...

Cute! I wonder if my niece would like to learn?

I'm stuck at #712 on the Ravelry list, trying SO hard to be patient!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats