Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The three little bears syndrome...

I have a problem with gauge. I usually knit smallish things like socks/scarves/hats that work out well when I use the needles specified. But this is starting to come back to haunt me...

I already catalogued the debacle that was my first clapotis, an item that I did complete but will never wear (unless homeless-lady chic comes back in style) as it's too blanket-like.

Anyhoo, I bought "Not just socks" by Sandi Rosner, a book I really like (and what's the first thing I made from it? Socks) and decided to use some stashed sock yarn for a beanie for my brother (age 34). Cast on (120 stitches or so), with more than a month to go till his birthday. Gauge shmage I don't need no stinkin' gauge... Knitted happily away on my wee size 2 circular needles.
"But it was too small"



Long story short - it just about fits my 3-year-old. And of course he won't wear anything on his head - the 5 milliseconds it took to get this picture were the height of it...

Last week I decided to give the pattern another go. And this time - yes! - made 2 gauge swatches. I have size 2, size 4 and size 9 16 in' circular needles, forget the size 2, they already let me down, but the size 9 seemed close. Maybe a small bit larger than a 4 in' square swatch but that's ok right? I used Bernat Naturals "Cashmere" blend (5% cashmere...) in black and in white, and some red wool from a frogged pair of mittens (darn Twiceknit and her influence ;) ). Ah yes, I thought, as I knitted my way through a fuzzy cold, this'll be great, a hat for my FIL for when he goes skiing in the New Year.

"But it was too big"

Here I am modeling the hat..comes way down over my ears - I flipped up the bottom rib for the top picture, but even still, pretty goofy. I mean, lookit that bottom picture. Stick a couple holes in it and you have a tea-cosy...I actually wore it to work on Monday (I know...), and two non-knitting friends said to me "did you make that?" not "You didn't make that did you?" (Lyn!). So unless any of you know of a giant-headed person who needs a hat...

Ah, but never deterred, I've started on "just right." An inch or two to go, pictures tomorrow.

2 comments:

YoMamma said...

I did the same thing with hats last year. I made one for my niece - she still got it but it's for her doll baby. ;-) The larger one I frogged but I considered filling it and making it into a pillow.

That child of yours is ADORABLE.

Anonymous said...

Maybe now you have a hat for the homeless? Then you get the karma points...
I'm sure the coworkers used the "I can't believe this could be true" tone of voice when they asked if you made it!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats