Sunday, December 2, 2007

Ravelry's Yarn Gift Exchange

I signed up for a yarn gift exchange on Ravelry. Basically, thru Elfster we are assigned someone to whom we'll send yarn or yarn-related items ($12-$16). I can't say who I got on the off-chance she comes across this blog, but we had actually exchanged messages thru Ravelry already, small world eh! I am excited. The thought of getting "free" yarn in the post I guess. Plus I get to make up a yarn package for someone not unlike me :)

So yesterday I stopped by All About Yarn and picked up these beauties:

The first is some Opal sock yarn (100g ball)- the toucan stripe (the tiger pattern is officially discontinued, boo), Ella Rae mosaic (merino/nylon/kid mohair mix) (3x50g), and Tofutsies sock yarn (100g) a wool, soysilk, cotton and crab chitin mix!

The "naturally antibacterial" claim raises my eyebrows a bit (I am a microbiologist after all), but the whole crab link is very appropriate given that I am in Maryland. Not that they're local crabs - the yarn was made where else - China.
So what do you think? With the $$ limitations I can only send one of these - which would you prefer? My swap partner is "international" and wouldn't normally have access to US yarn - which should I send her?
All About Yarn also sells back issues of knitting/crochet mags for $1.50! I got 3 Interweave issues, yay. More things I can add to my Ravelry queue...

2 comments:

twiceknit said...

I'd go for the crab yarn. I've heard it's actually very good, but the Maryland tie-in is too good to miss! Thanks for the heads up on the back magazines at All About Yarn. I had no idea!

YoMamma said...

I agree - the crab yarn would be an excellent choice for an exchange.

I think it's really cool that you are a microbiologist!

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats