Monday, December 17, 2007

More cookies, more yarn, another gift

Cookie swap # 2 tonight. I mis-counted the number of people, or the number of cookies, or some damn thing. So some people are getting 5 cookies. With cranberries instead of raisins. Ah well.


WIP: I've become the 975th person to start the Knitty Fetching pattern. Sooooo pretty. I'm also putting the finishing touches on the knitted Salmonellae for my co-workers (I am a microbiologist ye see). Can't link just now for some reason but both patterns on the wonderful Ravelry. Pictures coming.


Also augmented the yarn stash at the KnitWits Boutique sale (509 Main st Laurel, MD) this weekend. 15-30% off everything! I was very restrained, considering. Got some teeny tiny size 0 sock needles, and a couple of other circular pairs, 4 skeins of sock yarn, and the makings of a huge scarf - 9.5ft long!* Very nicely laid out store, friendly folks working there (aren't they always!) The sale goes on till Dec 31 - go on, treat yourself!

*The yarn harlot was right - crochet is 3x faster than knitting - but takes 3x more yarn. Four balls of yarn it took to make this scarf. But it took maybe 4 hours! And its lovely and twirly. And did I mention it's 9.5ft long??OK neither of these are great pictures, but trust me - it's long, and a cinch to make. Here's my (own) pattern:

MC - Gray Encore Mega

CC - Reg/Gray di.Ve Starship.

Size P/15mm crochet hook.

Make a chain 180 of stitches with MC. Make a treble crochet in the 4th stitch from the hook, and make treble crochet in every stitch to the end. Cut yarn.

Make 2 double crochet in each treble crochet with CC. Cut yarn.

Make 2 double crochet of CC in the base of each original treble crochet. Now there is a ladder of MC with thinner ladders of CC on both sides.

Add single crochet MC to each double crochet CC. Weave in ends.

No need for tassels - this scarf is long, and twirls because of the difference in tension between the foundation chain and the crocheted stitches.

Wrap round and round your neck and keep warm!

No comments:

Cracks me up!

Read any good books lately?

Time of day in my part of the world

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Map

Stats